Are you facing sudden hair fall? Is this going to be a life-long condition? Read this article to know about the ten reasons why you are having hair fall.
Hair fall is one of the most common concerns nowadays. While shedding 50 to 100 hair strands a day may not be a topic of concern, losing more than that may indicate certain serious health issues that require treatment. Although the treatment of hair loss depends on the cause, improvement in lifestyle may help in reducing hair fall.
In this article, we will look into the causes of hair loss.
Top 10 causes of hair loss:
- Androgenetic alopecia: Androgenic alopecia is mostly known as the male or female pattern baldness, which is one of the common causes of hair loss. Female and male pattern baldness both are genetic conditions. With this condition, males lose hair from the crown and temple areas. On the other hand, females experience hair thinning all around the head. Androgenic alopecia may occur at any age after puberty.
- Telogen effluvium: This is a type of sudden and acute hair loss which may occur due to different physical and mental issues. Telogen effluvium may occur due to PCOS, childbirth, postpartum, menopause, rapid weight loss, surgery, thyroid problems, endocrine disorder, excessive stress, and certain medications. Although this type of hair loss is a temporary condition which will resolve on its own, you should see a doctor to treat the underlying cause.
- Anagen effluvium: Anagen is considered as the hair growth phase of the hair cycle, and anagen effluvium is when hair sheds rapidly during this growth period. This condition may also cause hair loss around the other parts of the body including eyelashes and eyebrows. Autoimmune disease, chemotherapy, radiation and certain types of infections are the common causes of this condition. However, if it is because of the radiation or chemotherapy, hair will regrow after the treatment.
- Alopecia areata: It is an autoimmune condition where the immune system affects the hair follicles and other parts of the body. It can also cause hair fall from eyelashes and eyebrows. Alopecia areata can cause bald patches all over the head. If you are experiencing this type of hair loss then get a hair loss test as soon as possible.
- Traction alopecia: This type of hair loss may happen because of certain hairstyles where hair is pulled tight. Too much pressure on the hair leads to hair breakage. Tight ponytails, buns, and braids can cause this type of hair loss. Therefore, try to avoid these types of hairstyles because traction alopecia can cause bald patches in the long run.
- Ringworm: Tinea capitis is widely known as the ringworm of the scalp, which is a fungal infection that affects the hair follicles and scalp. Ringworm of the scalp can cause bald patches which can be itchy and scaly. Without treatment the bald patches may increase in size and fill in pus.
- Pregnancy: Most women generally experience hair loss right after childbirth. This actually is caused due to low estrogen levels. However, this type of hair loss is a temporary condition, and may improve within a year.
- Birth control pills: Birth control pills usually may cause hair loss. Some people may experience hair fall while on the medications, and some may face this issue weeks or months after taking them.
- Medications: There are a lot of medicines which can cause hair fall as a side effect. Blood thinners, beta blockers, cholesterol lowering drugs, antidepressants and accutane are some examples of medicines that may cause hair fall. If you suspect that your hair is falling out because of certain medications you are talking about, then consider asking your doctor to change or lower the dosage of the medication.
- Lack of nutrition: Apart from health diseases and side effects of medications, nutritional deficiency is a very common cause of hair loss in people. Diets that are low in vitamins, protein, and iron can cause extreme hair fall. If you are noting this type of sudden hair fall then you should get yourself tested with a Hair fall test.
Your doctor will prescribe you a Blood test for hair fall to rule out the exact cause of the hair loss. However, there are several treatments available for hair loss including medications and hair transplant. Thyrocare offers free home sample collection throughout the country, therefore you can easily search for Thyrocare Bangalore and Thyrocare Chennai online as well.